Everybody has difficulties with falling asleep from time to time. If insomnia is episodic and does not cause a severe discomfort, it is not recommended to take sleeping pills. But if the insomnia symptoms appear regularly and causes a serious concern, Ambien may be used in order to restore a normal sleeping regimen.
Ambien is an effective soporific which is quickly absorbed by the body to improve sleeping and is also quickly excreted from the body. The drug contains Zolpidem ingredient.
There is no more soporific medicine on the pharmaceutical market than Ambien. The drug may be used during any disorders of sleeping caused by flights to another time zone, night working, situational forms of insomnia, and others. Even if you normally fall asleep but you often wake up at night and you have a troubled sleep, the use of Ambien will help you to return a healthy sleeping.
According to the structure, Ambien is similar to benzodiazepines and has a broad action: sedative, myorelaxing, anti-anxiety, and others. But unlike classical benzodiazepines, Zolpidem provides a selective action and influences on the receptors that interact with the center of sleep in the brain. Due to this, a soporific effect is achieved in low doses.
Ambien has many advantages:
- No day-time sleepiness
- A person does not feel fatigue, sleep deficiency after awakening
- Increased period of the deep sleep
- Increased sleep quality
A therapeutic effect will appear after the use of a pill. You will quickly fall asleep, and you will be full of energy after awakening.
More about dosage
Ambien should be used directly before sleeping. It is better to take a pill in the bed. The drug will act in 10-15 minutes, and therefore be ready for sleeping beforehand.
If you are taking this medicine for the first time, start the treatment from a dose Ambien 5 mg. If the effect is not intensive, a dose may be increased up to 10 mg per day.
Old patients do not increase the dose and should take 5 mg per day.
Recommendations for the use
- A prolonged use of Ambien causes a medical addiction. Therefore the drug should be used for a short period – 1-2 weeks. As soon as you see an improvement of the sleep, stop taking the drug
- If you notice that the standard therapeutic dose of Ambien does not give a sleeping effect, it means that the body has produced a tolerance and the treatment should be stopped
- Alcohol increases the action of Zolpidem, and so do not take the pills during the alcohol intoxication
- Any sedative products increase the activity of Ambien, and therefore do not take them at the same time
- Do not take Ambien if you have disorders of the respiratory function (bronchial asthma, COPD), diseases of kidneys or liver
If you take Ambien for the first time, light side effects may be noticed within 2-3 days: feeling of intoxication, headache, dizziness, diarrhea, fatigue, and muscle weakness. These symptoms may be caused by an overdose. Try to reduce a dose of the drug and analyze the changes.
If the side effects grow, stop the treatment.